Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Golden Opportunity

Last weekend I was on my way to a friend’s apartment. As I turned onto State Street I saw a couple people walking a golden retriever and headed my way. Being a dog person (especially fond of golden retrievers) I asked

“Hey, can I pet your dog?!”

Owner: “Sure, do you have any dogs?”

Me: “ Yeah, I actually have a golden retriever also.”

We started talking about our pets, and at some point during this dialog my attention was drawn away from the golden retriever and to the owner, where I did a double take. The owner was a stunningly attractive girl.
I would have liked to continue the conversation, but her friend (completely forgotten at this point) seemed eager to continue their walk. So we parted ways without so much as an exchange of names. If I ever see “Golden Retriever girl” again I would really like to ask her out to coffee.

Opportunity missed.

Some opportunities I missed and some I took advantage of, but it was walking along the sidewalk that afforded me these opportunities. I believe if I walk long enough more chances will come, so I encourage you to metaphorically start walking.

P.S. Does anyone have advice about anything different I should/could have done? I felt like it would have been weird if I had asked for her phone number since I had never met her before.

1 comment:

  1. As an official follower, I can now comment! Someone told me about missed connections on craigslist (http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mis/) and since then, I like to look when taking breaks from house/apt searching because it's cute...or maybe a bit desperate. I do wonder how many ppl actually read it.

    You could have asked if she wanted to get coffee first. Then if she responded positively, it would make sense to get a phone number. The friend there may have made it awkward though...hmm...

    ReplyDelete